- Station Info
- Featured on 4
El Paso, TX — Undefeated UTEP will play its first road game of the year when it challenges I-10 rival New Mexico State at 6 p.m. at the Pan-American Center Tuesday. Fans can listen live to the game on 1150 AM & also get updates by following @UTEPWBB on twitter.
UTEP (6-0) is off to its third-best start in school history. The 2011-12 team (finished 29-4) opened up at 10-0 while the 1996-97 squad (finished 13-12) rolled out of the gates at 7-0.
- All six wins have been by double figures, which is a first at the school. The 1996-97 team had 5.
- Included in the stretch was back-to-back
- UTEP sports a +28.7 scoring margin, its second-highest differential through six games on the year. Only the 1976-77 Miners (+29.5) were better but they were aided by games against against the likes of Ft. Bliss, Howard College, Sul Ross State, Odessa College & WNMU.
- Included in stretch were back-to-back wins by 45+ points for first time in school history.
- School-record 49-point differential vs. DI 1 foe in 92-43 win vs. Northern Arizona (11/22/13)
- Beat Kansas State by 45 points (84-39) on Nov. 16, its third-best margin of win vs. D1 opposition.
- Set school record for biggest halftime lead vs. D1 opponent against KSU (46-13).
- Also won four straight games (11/12/13 to 11/27/13) by 20+ points in the stretch for first time since ‘06-07 & third occasion in the program’s history.
- Enjoyed school-record-tying stretch of three consecutive games (11/16/13 to 11/27/13) of holding opposition to fewer than 45 points.
- UTEP gained some ground in the AP-Top 25 poll, grabbing six points to tie for 33rd. It had one point & tied for 36th in the Nov. 25 poll.
- UTEP is also getting votes in the coaches’ poll, with the new edition set to be released Dec. 3.
- 70+ points in five of six games, including two in the 90’s & another in the 80’s.
- Connecting on 44.2 % from floor while making 13.8 turnovers per game.
- Kayla Thornton (16.0 ppg) is the lone player averaging double figures in scoring, but she is not the only threat by any means.
- Eight other Miners are contributed +5.5 ppg, including four at better than 8.0 ppg.
- Keeping foes to 31.7% from floor & forcing 24.7 turnovers per game.
- Outrebounding opponents (43.2-38.5) & enjoying big advantage at charity stripe (127-of-191 to 61-of-103).
- Deep squad with nine players earning at least 10 minutes per game & another at 9.8.
- UTEP is 57-14 since the start of the 2011-12 season, including 6-0 this year.
- The Miners finished a perfect 6-0 in November & they are now 17-1 in the month since 2011.
- It is 44-22 all time in the month under head coach Keitha Adams.
- UTEP has enjoyed even more success historically under Adams in December, with a record of 53-25 during her tenure.
- UTEP is 5-6 all time when playing on Nov. 30.
- It has won past two games on the date.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- NM State leads the series, 47-34, including 30-10 in Las Cruces.
- The Miners won the first meeting this year, 94-69, on Nov. 12.
- UTEP has played NM State at least twice every year since the Miner program was founded (1974-75).
- UTEP is 15-10 against the Aggies during the Keitha Adams era, making her the lone coach in program history to sport a winning record in the “Battle of I 10.”
GOING BACK IN TIME
- Kayla Thornton (17 points, 10 rebounds), Cameasha Turner (career-high 13 points) and Jenzel Nash (10 points) all reached double figures in scoring, and UTEP moved to 6-0 on the year after a 73-60 conquest of visiting Texas State at the Don Haskins Center on Nov. 30.
- The Miners led 41-23 at the break.
- The advantage swelled to as many as 22 (54-32, 11:58 to play) before the Bobcats tried to put together a rally. The visitors battled back but could never get closer than 12 the rest of the way out during the foul-plagued contest.
- There were 56 combined infractions in the game (30 on UTEP, 26 on Texas State), with the Miners knocking down 21-of-32 free throws and TSU finishing at 14-of-30 from the charity stripe.
- UTEP connected on 40.3 percent (25-of-62) from the floor, with that figure aided by 42 points in the paint.
- UTEP won the rebounding battle, 44-40, aided by 12 from Chrishauna Parker & 10 from Thornton.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
- NM State returned two starters from last year’s team that finished 15-16, 7-11 WAC.
- The Aggies stumbled out of the gates at 1-3, including the 94-69 season-opening loss (for NM State) at UTEP on Nov. 12.
- NM State has gone 2-1 since that point, trouncing Eastern New Mexico (88-56, 11/21) before toppling Northern Illinois, (77-73, on Nov. 29). It was edged out by Milwaukee, 84-81, last time out.
- The Aggies are producing 77.3 points per game, aided by three players in double figures and three more at +8.0 ppg.
- NM State has drilled 42.6% of its shots from the floor, including 34.6 percent from beyond-the-arc.
- Eight newcomers are in the fold for the Aggies.
- NM State is led by third-year head coach Mark Trakh, who is 24-44 with the program. Overall he stands at 312-232 in his 19th year as a collegiate head coach.
- NM State was voted third in the WAC preseason poll. Sasha Weber was picked as a second-team selection in both polls.
- New Mexico State University is a major land-grand university in Las Cruces, N.M., which was founded in 1888 under the name of Las Cruces College.
- It took on its current name in 1960.
- Notable alumni include actor Scott Bailey, who is best known for his playing the role of Sandy Foster on the CBS soap opera Guiding Light, and former Olympic basketball player Chito Reyes. Additionally, Clyde Tombaugh, who discovered the planet Pluto (since reclassified to a dwarf planet), taught astronomy at the school from 1955 until his retirement in 1973.
801 N. Oregon, El Paso, Texas 79902 • (915) 532-5421 • email@example.com
Copyright © 2014 Titan TV Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved