- Station Info
- Featured on 4
THE BASIC FACTS
- UTEP (6-6) and Tulane (12-3) tip-off the Conference USA slate on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at Devlin Fieldhouse, formerly Fogelman Arena, in New Orleans.
- The arena features new lighting, ticket booths, chairback seats, concrete supports, contoured bench seating, concessions, team shop and club areas. The acoustical ceiling was also removed to reveal the original red wood ceiling and steel structure.
- The Green Wave is 10-0 at home this season and carries a five-game overall winning streak into the league opener.
- UTEP is opening C-USA play on the road for the fourth time. The Miners are 2-1 in the situation with an 80-67 win at SMU on Jan. 11, 2006; a 74-68 win at SMU on Jan. 10, 2009; and a 76-60 loss at Marshall on Jan. 4, 2012.
- Overall UTEP is 6-1 in C-USA openers and 2-5 in C-USA road openers.
- UTEP has never opened C-USA play versus Tulane. SMU served as the Miners’ first C-USA opponent on four of seven previous occasions.
- The Miners had won seven consecutive conference openers dating back to their days in the Western Athletic Conference, a school-record streak, prior to losing at Marshall last season.
- UTEP’s all-time Conference USA record is 68-42. The Miners are 23-32 in C-USA road games.
- Only Memphis (97) and UAB (74) have posted more C-USA victories than UTEP since the league’s realignment for the 2005-06 season.
- UTEP has registered at least 10 Conference USA wins in three of the last four seasons.
- UTEP has lost nine of its last 11 C-USA road games dating back to the 2010-11 season.
- Tulane had a 14-0 run in the second half, breaking away from a 36-36 tie at the 12-minute mark, en route to its fifth straight win, 62-48, on Friday at Devlin Fieldhouse.
- The Green Wave held the Terriers to 35.4 percent shooting (26.9 in the second half) while converting 19 Wofford turnovers to 23 points.
- Junior forward Josh Davis and sophomore guard Ricky Tarrant scored 15 points each for Tulane, while senior guard/forward Kendall Timmons added 11 points.
- Davis added 13 rebounds. He has eight double-doubles in the last 13 games.
- Davis leads Conference USA in scoring (18.1 ppg), rebounding (10.3 rpg) and offensive rebounds (4.0 avg.).
- Davis is tied for eighth nationally in double-doubles (eight), and ranks first in Conference USA. He is 15th in the NCAA in rebounding.
- Tulane is the C-USA leader in scoring defense (56.7 ppg) and rebound margin (+7.3 ppg).
- The Green Wave ranks 16th nationally in scoring defense, 19th in personal fouls per game (14.5), 31st in rebound margin and 33rd in turnovers per game (11.6).
- UTEP leads the series 7-3 and has won six of the nine matchups between the schools since joining Conference USA.
- The Miners are 1-3 at Devlin Fieldhouse with losses during the 2006-07 (92-67), 2008-09 (86-77) and 2011-12 (66-58) seasons, and a 69-58 victory during the 2010-11 campaign.
- Tulane was also undefeated at home (8-0) heading into the 2011 game.
- UTEP trailed 53-51 with a little over a minute to go in last year’s matchup in New Orleans. The Miners were down by four (79-75) with the ball in the final minute of the 2009 game at Tulane.
- In the first-ever matchup between the programs, Jim Barnes scored 32 points and pulled down 18 rebounds, leading Texas Western College (now UTEP) to a 76-59 win on Dec. 20, 1963 at the Arkansas State Tournament in Jonesboro. Barnes was later selected by New York with the first pick in the 1964 NBA Draft.
- UTEP’s Tim Floyd is 5-3 against Tulane in his college coaching career, including 3-1 at UTEP. Floyd faced the Green Wave four times as the head coach at New Orleans from 1988-94.
801 N. Oregon, El Paso, Texas 79902 • (915) 532-5421 • email@example.com
Copyright © 2014 Titan TV Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved