- Station Info
- Featured on 4
UTEP and New Mexico State will meet for the 90th time on Saturday at 6 p.m. in the Sun Bowl.
THE BASIC FACTS
- UTEP hosts NM State in the 90th matchup of the I-10 rivalry series.
- The series is the longest running in UTEP football history.
- The winner of the game takes possession of a pair of traveling trophies, the silver spade and the brass spittoon.
- UTEP is pursuing a fourth straight win over NMSU. The Miners haven’t beaten the Aggies four consecutive times since a run of six victories in a row from 1986-91.
- The Miners are seeking their first home win of the season after dropping a 24-7 decision to fourth-ranked Oklahoma in the Sun Bowl on Sept. 1.
- UTEP seeks to avoid its first 0-3 start since 2008.
- Following Saturday’s game, UTEP will be on the road for three of its next four contests, including back-to-back away games at Wisconsin (Sept. 22) and East Carolina (Sept. 29).
HOW THEY GOT HERE
- UTEP dropped to 0-2 with a 28-10 loss at Ole Miss on Sept. 8.
- The Miners fell behind 21-0 at the half and couldn’t get closer than 11 points (21-10) after the break.
- With starting tailback Nathan Jeffery (groin) sidelined, UTEP was limited to 37 yards rushing on 30 carries.
- Nick Lamaison completed 21-of-33 passes for 213 yards for the Miners, but was sacked five times.
- Ole Miss accumulated 538 yards of offense (332 rushing, 206 passing), including 18 plays of 10+ yards.
- Bo Wallace completed 15-of-22 passes for 174 yards and three TDs for the Rebels, and Jeff Scott rushed 13 times for 113 yards.
- NM State’s record was squared at 1-1 with a 51-24 setback at Ohio.
- The Aggies were outscored 30-10 in the second half after trailing by a touchdown (21-14) through two quarters.
- NMSU yielded 584 yards to the Bobcats (293 rushing, 291 passing) as Ohio’s Beau Blankenship rushed for 168 yards.
- NMSU QB Andrew Manley was 12-for-24 passing for 132 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
- Ohio held NMSU to 206 yards while posting nine tackles for losses and seven sacks.
UTEP VS. NM STATE
- UTEP leads the series 52-35-2.
- The Miners hold a 35-16-1 advantage in games played in El Paso.
- UTEP has won 18 of the last 27 games between the rivals in the Sun Bowl.
- The home team has been the victor in 11 of the last 15 games.
- The winning team has scored 30 points or more in 10 of the last 12 meetings.
- UTEP is 6-2 against NMSU under coach Mike Price.
- Last year the Miners put together a 16-10 win in Las Cruces, as Dakota Warren kicked three field goals and a 60-yard run by Joe Banyard off a fake punt spurred UTEP’s lone touchdown drive of the game.
- UTEP held NMSU to 258 yards in last year’s meeting (242 passing, 16 rushing).
- The 258 yards were the fewest by NMSU at home versus UTEP since 1991.
- The Miners’ 16-10 win at NMSU last season represented its first on the road when scoring fewer than 20 points since a 12-7 triumph at Wyoming in 1971.
801 N. Oregon, El Paso, Texas 79902 • (915) 532-5421 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2013 Titan TV Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved