- Station Info
- Featured on 4
The New Mexico State women’s tennis team ended the 2013 season with a 4-0 loss to No. 1 seed Denver Pioneers in the opening round of the Western Athletic Conference Championship on Thursday, April 25. The Aggies went into the tournament as the eighth seed, and drew the WAC leader in the first round.
“Today’s match was closer than the 4-0 score shows. Three of our top players did not finish their singles matches today,” head coach Ivan Fernandez said. “We competed better today than when we did against Denver at home two weeks ago. It was unfortunate to have to play Denver in the first round, but we fought hard until the last point, and that is all I can ask for.”
Aggie duo Annemieke Witte and Mia Brandt fell 8-0 at the No. 3 spot in double play, and the point was taken by the Pioneers after Ginet Pinero and Ros-Polly Nguyen dropped 8-5 at the top spot. With the two matches won by Denver for the point, senior Jodie Williams and sophomore Denise Van Der Ben were forced to leave their match unfinished at the second court while trailing just 6-5.
Pinero, Witte and Nguyen’s matches were all left unfinished in singles play as Denver was able to claim the points at the second, third and sixth courts before NM State could make a comeback. Van Der Ben and Brandt each fell at their respective courts in straight sets. Van Der Ben worked her third spot before falling 6-1, 6-3, and Brandt battled before falling 6-2, 6-3 at court no. 6.
The match was decided in favor of the Pioneers after Williams dropped 6-1, 6-1 at the second court.
NM State finished the season 6-16 after battling unexpected injuries throughout the season. The team worked claimed its final two wins of the season over WAC opponents Seattle U and Utah State.
1. Sophia Bergner (DEN) vs. Ginet Pinero (NMSU), DNF 7-6, 2-1
2. Caroline Schnell (DEN) def. Jodie Williams (NMSU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Emma Isberg (DEN) def. Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Mandy van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) vs. Annemieke Witte (NMSU), DNF 7-6(4)
5. Kathryn Hughes (DEN) vs. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU), DNF 6-4, 2-1
6. Steffi Rath (DEN) def. Mia Brandt (NMSU), 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 6, 2
1. Bergner/Rath (DEN) def. Pinero/Nguyen (NMSU), 8-5
2. Isberg/van den Eerenbeemt (DEN) vs. Williams/Van Der Ben (NMSU), DNF 6-5
3. Schnell/Hughes (DEN) def. Witte/Brandt (NMSU), 8-0
Order of finish: 3, 1
801 N. Oregon, El Paso, Texas 79902 • (915) 532-5421 • email@example.com
Copyright © 2014 Titan TV Broadcast Group. All Rights Reserved