El Paso, TX (KDBC) — MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving) are offering tips to football fans celebrating Super Bowl Sunday.
• In advance of the Super Bowl, MADD is urging football fans to have a plan for how they’ll get home from Super Bowl parties with a non-drinking designated driver. It’s the ultimate winning drive.
• In 2012, 43 percent of all traffic fatalities on Super Bowl Sunday and the morning after were caused by drunk driving, compared to an average of 31 percent for the year as a whole.
• On Super Bowl Sunday, and throughout the year, MADD encourages football fans ‘to play the most important position in the NFL: the designated driver.’
Here are some tips for throwing a fun and safe Super Bowl party:
• Plan activities like party games or door prize drawings to engage people and reduce alcohol consumption.
• Offer non-alcoholic drink options for designated drivers and those who are under age 21.
• Provide plenty of food to avoid guests drinking on an empty stomach and getting intoxicated more quickly.
• Be ready to step in if a guest has had too much to drink — offer to drive them home, arrange for a ride with a non-drinking guest, call a taxi, or invite them to spend the night.
No D.U.I. El Paso is a non-profit organization that is not sponsored by MADD, but is available to the community of El Paso to provide safe transportation to El Pasoans.