El Paso, TX (The Texas Tribune) — UTEP will continue its season-opening six-game homestand when it plays host to Big 12 member Kansas State at 2 p.m. MST Saturday.
- Fans who donate three canned goods will receive free admission to the contest, as part of the ongoing “Let’s SAAC Hunger Food Drive.”
- All fans who have a ticket for the Miners’ football game vs. FIU at 6 p.m. use it to get in free as well for the tilt against the Wildcats.
- Audio & video of the game will be available through subscription-based Miner TV on UTEPAthletics.com
- Both Miner (2-0) wins were double digits.
- UTEP is off to its third straight & sixth 2-0 start under Keitha Adams. It’s 14th overall at school.
- Search of three consecutive 3-0 start.
- Never had two in a row before current streak.
- Kansas State is off to a 2-0 start, having drilled Tennessee State, 85-53, in its lid lifter on Nov. 8 before easing past C-USA member Charlotte, 73-65, on Nov. 10. Both of those games were at home.
- UTEP is in the midst of a season-opening six-game homestand, the second longest in program history. Only the 2008-09 campaign (seven contests) featured a longer stretch in the Sun City to start the year.
- UTEP is 13-1 in November since starting the 2011-12 season, including 2-0 this year. It is 40-22 all time in month under head coach Keitha Adams.
INSIDE THE SERIES
- The series is tied, 2-2, but KSU is 2-1 against the Miners during the Keitha Adams era.
- UTEP won last year’s meeting, 52-50, in Manhattan, Kan., on Dec. 16, 2012. The Miners used a 14-2 game-closing run to overcome a 10-point deficit with 5:27 to play.
- It marked just the 10th loss in 110 non-conference home games for KSU under head coach Deb Patterson.
- The Wildcats dispatched UTEP, 65-44, in the season opener for both squads at the Don Haskins Center on Nov. 14, 2008,
- The Wildcats also toppled the Miners, 66-58, on Dec. 1, 2007.
- UTEP’s first win in the series came in a neutral-site contest (67-61, in Moscow, Idaho, 12/6/96).
GOING BACK IN TIME
- Chrishauna Parker registered a double-double (12 points and 12 rebounds) and UTEP’s bench provided 49 points in a 75-58 season-opening romp against UTPB on Nov. 8.
- Four different Miners reached double figures in scoring to help UTEP pound NM State, 94-69, in the first round of the “Battle of I-10” this year at the Don Haskins Center on Nov. 12.
- It marked the second-largest margin of victory in the series for the Miners, who led the Aggies wire-to-wire.
- The difference was only six at the break (39-33) but UTEP made that a distant memory with a 9-0 surge out of the gates to start the second half. UTEP led by 20+ points over final 11:23.
- The Miners’ 55 points after the break, equaling the fifth-highest second-half scoring sum in program history.
- Senior Kayla Thornton led the way with her 22nd career double-double (22 points, 12 rebounds), which puts her in a tie with former Miner Amy Pack (1999-01) for the career standard. Fellow El Pasoan Stacie Telles came off the bench to provide 16 points, while Jenzel Nash (14 points) & Kelli Willingham (12 points) also reached double figures in scoring
- The Miners connected on 55.0 percent (33-of-60) from the floor, aided by going 20-of-29 (69.0 percent) in the explosive second half.
- It was the 10th 90+ point game of the Keitha Adams era.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
- Kansas State is 2-0 for a fourth straight year and the ninth time in the past 10 years.
- A native of Spain native & freshman Leticia Romero paces the team in scoring (20.5), rebounding (7.5) & assists (5.5).
- Junior Haley Texada is also in double figures for KSU, contributing 11.0 ppg & 5.0 rpg.
- The Wildcats are 112-41 all time in November, including 63-21 under Deb Patterson.
- Seven of KSU’s 14 players on the roster are either freshman or redshirt-freshman.
- It has plenty of height, with an average measurement of 5-11. It is the tallest team at the school by average since 2008-09.
- K-State has 845 wins all time, aided by 23 20+ victory seasons.
TAKING ON POWER CONFERENCE SCHOOLS
- Including the match-up against Kansas State, the Miners will face three schools from the six power conferences during the 2013-14 season.
- UTEP is 6-35 all time in such contests.
- The Miners were 3-0 in the scenario last year.
- UTEP downed Pacific 12 members Arizona State (60-54, 11/18/12) & Arizona (64-53, 11/23/12) while also toppling Kansas State on the road (52-50, 12/16/12).
- Four of the six triumphs have been during the Keitha Adams era. UTEP previously derailed Nebraska (Big 12, 63-53, 12/20/08).
- Prior to Adams’ tenure, UTEP had triumphs against Kansas State (Big 8, 67-61, 12/6/96) and Arizona (66-46, Pac 10, 11/20/80).