As of February 5, Komen El Paso Race for the Cure participation numbers are down 36% as compared to last year at this time, which could result in a $100,000 loss to the men and women of the El Paso community.
The El Paso affiliate is asking for the community’s support of Race for the Cure to meet the breast health needs of thousands of men and women in El Paso County.
Funds raised through Race are used to provide free mammograms, diagnostic services, breast cancer treatment, and transportation services for the uninsured and underserved in El Paso.
Stephanie Flora, executive director of the El Paso affiliate, states, “We are alarmed at the current decrease in Race registration numbers. Thousands of men and women in El Paso depend on Komen funding to receive life-saving mammograms and breast cancer treatment. Those services are in jeopardy if we do not raise these funds.”
Up to 75% of the funds raised through Race for the Cure remain in El Paso County for breast cancer education, screening, and treatment services, and the remaining 25% funds national research.
Last year Komen El Paso granted $280,000 to local organizations that provide breast health services to the uninsured and underserved.
Join us for the 21st Annual Komen El Paso Race for the Cure locally presented by Mattress Firm will take place on February 17, 2013 at Cohen Stadium.
Registration is available online through Friday, February 8 at noon, and the Race packet will be mailed to the participant.
Walk-Up Registration will take place at Sunland Park Mall this Saturday, February 9 from 10:00 am- 6:00 pm and Sunday, February 10 from 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
In addition, Walk-Up Registration will be available at Academy Sports + Outdoors, 201 S. Americas on Sunday, February 10 from 12:00 pm – 6:00 pm.
For individuals in Las Cruces, Walk-Up Registration will take place at the Mattress Firm at 1600 A South Valley Drive on Saturday, February 9 from 10:00 am – 8:00 pm.
Come out to register for the Race, pay your entry fee and receive your Race packet, which includes your Race t-shirt, bib and Race Day Manual.