EL PASO — The El Paso Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure is partnering with Mattress Firm and Desert Imaging to host a mammography event to meet the breast health needs of the underserved in El Paso. In conjunction with the Race for the Cure walk up registration held on Saturday, February, 2, Mattress Firm is sponsoring 50 screening mammograms for preselected uninsured women. Desert Imaging will provide the mammograms through their mobile mammography coach. Komen El Paso staff and volunteers will be present to provide additional breast health information and register participants for the Komen El Paso Race for the Cure.
Walk Up Registration will take place at Mattress Firm- Viscount (9531 Viscount) Saturday, February 2nd from 10:00 am - 8:00 pm.
The 21st Annual Komen El Paso Race for the Cure® will take place on February 17 at Cohen Stadium. Last year the Race attracted more than 11,000 participants in the fight against breast cancer.
The Komen Race for the Cure is the largest series of 5K runs/fitness walks in the world with well over 1 million participants each year since 2005. The Race raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease.
Up to 75% of the funds raised at the Race remain in El Paso to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25% goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.