Officials Offer Advice
A Vinton family of four is in the hands of the Red Cross. Their mobile home, on Danny Boy, burned down Monday afternoon at about 2 p.m.
Investigators say an overloaded outlet in the living room caused the blaze. It's something firefighters see a lot this time of the year.
"We have the holidays coming up and you'll see a lot of candles being used as decorations," said El Paso Fire Department's Public Affairs Coordinator, George De La Torre. "You'll also see a whole lot more electrical cords being used to plug in all sorts of decorations and that increases the chances for fire".
Overloaded outlets arent the only prevalent cause of fire during winter months, space heaters kept too close to fabrics can spark a blaze.
But sometimes people don't have space heaters or furnaces and try to find other ways to stay warm.
Officials warn against using a stove to keep your home warm.
"We think that all fires are preventable even though we see some accidents," De La Torre said. "We believe all of them are preventable. Whether it's from a candle or from a heater".
Advice that might have changed the fortune of the family who lived in the mobile home on Danny Boy in Vinton.