Weather Alert

|
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 11:59am

Staying safe during Old Man Winter's Visit

KDBC
Friday, November 22, 2013 - 11:13pm

Mother Nature and Old Man Winter have teamed up to bring the Borderland it's first dose of winter weather.

"It comes with the season I guess," said Edward Tristan, who was out shopping in the cold Friday night.

Many, like Tristan, try to keep warm by cranking up the heater.

"We've been pretty lucky to have either central heat or central air actually so it's been pretty good for us," he said.

According to the El Paso Fire Department, heating is the second leading cause of house fires and is most common during the winter.
To stay safe,  the fire department suggests never leaving a space heater on when you go to sleep or leave your home.  Keep furniture, drapes, and carpeting at least three feet away from your heater.   All furnaces and heaters should also be checked every year.

"Please have the furnace serviced by a licensed heating cooling technician, because what they'll do, they're not just gonna turn it on, they're gonna check for natural gas leaks and they're also gonna check for carbon monoxide leaks," said Michael Ortiz of the El Paso Fire Department.

Driving in icy conditions, especially on black ice, can be an unexpected danger.

"If you happen to slip, you're supposed to let go, slowly let go of your gas pedal and then go with the steering, wherever you're tires go, just let it go," said Blanca Del Valle, TXDOT spokesperson.

If you're traveling out of town or will be on the road this weeked, you can stay posted on road conditions.
They will be updated frequently on TXDOT's web page drivetexas.org or you can call 1-800-452-9292.
For conditions in new mexico go to nmroads.com or call 1-800-432-4269.
 

News

Reader Comments

Post new Comment