- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 4:34pm
Las Cruces, NM (LCPD) — Las Cruces Police has investigated 84 auto burglaries in the past two months and the overwhelming majority were considered crimes of opportunity since vehicle windows were left down or doors unlocked.
Investigators have learned that many perpetrators simply walk neighborhoods, or parking lots, pulling door handles with the hopes of finding an unlocked vehicle. Once in the vehicle, the perpetrator needs only seconds to rummage and steal valuables left in the passenger compartment, or pop open a trunk.
The Las Cruces Police Department recommends:
- Park vehicles in a garage, driveway or well-lighted area.
- Remove valuables (purses, wallets, backpacks, personal electronics, etc.) from the passenger compartment.
- Conceal other items (CDs, tools, loose change, cell phone chargers, etc.) normally kept in a vehicle.
- Close all windows and lock doors.
- Remove garage door remote-openers from vehicles.
- Install and use an audible alarm system.
- Be a good neighbor and report any suspicious activity.
Anyone who witnesses an auto burglary in progress is asked to refrain from confronting the suspects. Instead, witnesses are asked to dial 911 immediately and be prepared to provide the call-taker with an accurate description of the suspect or suspects, and the license plate of the vehicle they are in.