- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Tuesday, July 9, 2013 - 10:52pm
Fort Hood, TX (CNN) — (CNN) -- Six potential jurors from a pool of 20 were excused Tuesday from serving during the murder trial of Army Maj. Nidal Hasan, who is accused of killing 13 people in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood in November 2009, the military said.
The remaining 14 will be questioned by the prosecution and defense beginning Tuesday, according to a written statement released by the Fort Hood Public Affairs Office.
The military plans to call a pool of 20 potential jurors every week until it fills out the court-martial panel with 13 jurors.
Hasan, who is acting as his own attorney, faces a possible death sentence, if convicted.
Col. Tara Osborn, the military judge, has entered a not-guilty plea on behalf of Hasan after he refused to enter one last week.
Hasan has been charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder in connection with the November 5, 2009, shooting on the base near Killeen, Texas.
The judge has barred Hasan from using a defense that he was acting to protect the Taliban in Afghanistan when he opened fire at a post deployment center. Osborn said there was no evidence to support a "defense of others" claim.
A jury is expected to be seated by the end of the month, with opening statements in the court-martial set to begin August 6.
CNN's Chelsea J. Carter contributed to this report