- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Friday, March 7, 2014 - 2:33pm
Jeffrey Farrey, the man accused of burying his infant son in the desert outside Orogrande, NM, appeared in court Friday morning for a bond reduction hearing in Judge Patrick Garcia's court. However, Farrey will have to wait until March 17th to find out if the reduction was granted.
Farrey's attorney, Joe Spencer was asking the court to change Farrey's current $1.5 million bond to a "split bond", $10,000 surety bond in addition to a $400,000 personal bond. In court, the prosecution argued that Farrey could possibly be a flight risk, citing the discovery of the family in Michigan, just three hours from the Canadian border.
Judge Garcia rebutted the prosecution and asked why they hadn't made it all the way to Canada if they'd had the opportunity.
Spencer argued that Farrey's main concern is his young son Blake Farrey, and his well-being. Spencer stated that Farrey wishes to begin the reunification process with his son, who is just under two years old. He insisted that Farrey would have no reason to flee El Paso County now that his son is in protective CPS custody.
Outside of court, Joe Spencer seemed hopeful that the judge would grant some form of reduction in Farrey's bond. He has maintained that Jenna Farrey was the dominant party in the couple's relationship and she was primarily responsible for Jackson Farrey's death.
Spencer also said that Jeffrey Farrey's family would be making the trip from Illinois this coming weekend to attempt a reunification with Blake Farrey. No one in the family has reportedly seen the toddler since he was taken into CPS custody in Michigan in late November.
Farrey's attorney stated that he feels his client's mental state has improved since he was originally charged in the case and he is no longer as concerned with Farrey being a suicide risk.
In the court, Spencer and Farrey quietly conferred with each other when the Judge asked specific questions regarding Farrey's deployment dates for the U.S. Army. Farrey said that he had been back from Afghanistan for a year before the death of his son, but had been sent for a 30-day-deployment approximately two months before the infant's death. During that time, no new CPS cases had been reported against the family.
In court, the Judge stated that the reduction to a $10,000 surety bond would not be granted, but he would consider other options and return with a final ruling by March 17th.