- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 7:01pm
Although the rain storms experienced in the Southern New Mexico and West Texas region haven’t caused wide-spread outages in the area, El Paso Electric crews are on alert and ready to assist customers should outages occur.
Customers who experience outages can call:
Texas: (915) 877-3400
New Mexico: (575) 523-7591
Information on outages and an outage map is available on the EPE website: http://www.epelectric.com/about-el-paso-electric/power-outages
Here are some tips to follow if an outage occurs:
• Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer doors. A full, unopened freezer should keep food frozen up to 48 hours. Food should stay cold in an unopened refrigerator for 24 hours.
• Disconnect appliances that would go on automatically when power is restored or that may become damaged due to voltage irregularities. These appliances include computers, DVD players, televisions, stereos, and answering machines.
• Candles can be fire hazards. Never place them near flammable materials and never leave them unattended.
• Prepare an outage kit that includes flashlights, battery-powered or wind-up alarm clock, battery-powered radio, extra batteries, a manual can opener and first-aid kit.
• Know the location of your home’s fuse box or circuit box.
• Cordless phones don’t work if the power is out. Have a standard phone or cell phone as a backup.
• Automatic garage door openers don’t work if the power is out. Check the instruction booklet for manual override.