- Station Info
- Featured on 4
Thursday, October 20, 2011 - 6:07pm
LAS CRUCES-- A man has been arrested after Las Cruces police say he is believed to have kidnapped his girlfriend at knifepoint early Thursday morning.
Las Cruces police were called to the 1900 block of Redwood St. after 29-year-old Orlando Melon left the 34-year-old woman's home.
Police detectives learned that the woman and her estranged husband were sitting in the woman's vehicle on Karen Dr. when Melon, the woman's boyfriend, approached the two and threatend them with a large hunting knife. Police said Melon forced the woman's husband from the car, jumped in himself, and ordered the woman to drive to her home.
The 34-year-old told detectives that she tried to jump from the vehicle, but wasn't able to.
Melon left the woman's home after he learned that the police had been called.
The woman was not physically injured.
Melon was found and was detained by Las Cruces police officers a short time later as he tried to hide on the roof of a house on Mahogany Dr.
Melon is charged with one count each of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and false imprisonment. Additional charges are pending.
Melon is being held at the Dona Ana County Detention Center with bond set at $10,000.